One man's comments on everything


Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stand up and be counted

I am very often perceived as contentious in some of my comments and posts on my own Facebook page and on Groups I subscribe to.  You can say sometimes very contentious.  The fact of the matter is that I am not a Yes-man. If I differ, I will say so and will defend my viewpoint until someone can prove me wrong. Which of course does not happen very often. I will in most cases ask them to agree to disagree with me and let us go on.

Megan Power, who writes in the Sunday Times and in the Business Day newspapers in South Africa and is a bit of a rogue fighter for consumer rights writes in an Article in today's Business day (link :  http://www.bdlive.co.za/businesstimes/2012/10/07/clueless-banks-keep-riling-clients )  about client's woes with 3 of the big South African Banks and how they (the banks ) literally make their own rules as they go along and clients just have to foot the bill.

Why do people let banks and for that matter any business get away with this type of service ?  It is absolutely a service thing - a bad service day - week , month and for some of them bad service full stop - it is how they are trained. (my perception)

I have had the same treatment (actually I can write a book full of it ) with the other bank not mentioned in the article and with one or two other nasties in very much the same type of arguments. I just got fed up and in stead of just paying them what they asked I got myself a good lawyer and started taking them on.  Suddenly the tone changed - I am not being run over - They do not phone me or send me any threatening letters anymore. I still owe some of them money but I will now repay them on my terms.  Debt counselors are there for the working man and women.  What about the guy (like me) running my own business - basically self employed that ran into financial difficulties ?  

Here are some things you can do when you really feel you could kill someone:

1.  Do not kill someone

2.  If you totally agree with what you owe a creditor offer him what you can afford to pay him. And stick to your guns - they have all sorts of crafty ways to make you increase your offer - don't.  Send them and email with the offer and cover yourself with a clause that says :Without prejudice. And insist on you being able to review the offer every three months - You not them.  And only start paying them once they have accepted your conditional offer in writing.

3.  Never ever sign any new documents !  Never ,  Ever.  Only communicate with them via email with the clause Without prejudice in the body of your mail. And insist on a read receipt.

4.   Never(ever) make any arrangement  on the phone - a phone is only their to obtain an email address.

5.  If it is a bank you owe money to and you have a savings account/cheque account with them close it and go to an unaffiliated bank.  The bank you owe money to will grab your money out of your accounts the moment it lands there - They call this set-off.  I call it theft and I will lay a criminal charge against anyone doing that - most other people will not.

5. If nothing works as described above get yourself a good lawyer - one that is not affiliated to any of your creditors.

6.  If you are not happy with any service send an email to the CEO.  Banks for one cannot refuse to give you his email address - Try and get hold of her/his secretary's(personal assistant's) name and telephone number.  I have found that these ladies can work wonders with their boss once you are on them.

What is the bottom line ? Stand up an be counted - Don't be bullied - don't be a wimp - if you are you will be treated like one ! 

No comments: